Friday, July 27, 2012

Walking With The Father


 Walking With The Father


Taking a walk with my 3 girls this afternoon, taught me about God.
Victoria wanted me to carry her the whole time. Isn't that just like us? God is more than happy to carry us when we are still babies. But once we learn to walk, He expects us to walk. God won't baby you forever. No matter how much he loves you.
Ava kept saying her legs were tired. I told her to use her muscles. Rather than walk lazily along, high step it, and we did a little march together. Let's face it, the road gets long and we can grow weary. This is a battle and we need to keep moving, or we'll be struck down. People are counting on us to keep fighting the fight.
Olivia, my oldest daughter was prancing/skipping/merrily moving along out in front of the rest of us. At one point she had gotten to far out in front and I had to tell her that we had come out to take this walk together, and that she needed to come back with the rest of us. Isn't it astounding that when God calls us to walk with Him, sometimes we tend to get ahead of His plan? Try to step up Gods pace? Take His invitation and run with it? God sometimes has to put the brakes on us for a while, just so we can realize, He asked us to “walk” with Him. “The race is not to the swift, but to him that endures”. We need to learn how to keep at Gods pace. If you're running to fast to comfortably talk (with God), you're running to fast. It's easier if we learn to walk with Him. “My yoke is easy, and my burden light.” You weren't made to go it alone.
We had stopped to play at a park, and when I was ready to go, I said ”C'mon girls, it's time to go”, and proceeded walking. Of course some of the girls didn’t think it was a good time to go, and tried to get some extra play time in. As I about to walk out of the fenced in area, and was noticeably further away than they were comfortable with, I heard them say,”daddy slow up, your walking to fast”. To which I responded, “I'm not walking fast, you just didn’t come when I asked you too”.
Jesus says follow me. He doesn’t stay and coax us to do what He says. He doesn’t ask us to run out in front of Him. It's an invitation for fellowship. Stay close. Lets talk. Let's spend some time together.
There is nothing like fatherhood to teach us about our Father.
And there is nothing like being a father that will teach us about how to be a child (of God).

 

Genesis 5:24 KJV

And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

Genesis 6:9 KJV

These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

No comments: